Here’s a good little article from the Detroit Free Press on improving shovelling technique and getting through a Montreal winter injury-free: http://on.freep.com/sfqPEH. I didn’t realise shovelling was such a technical skill.
Being a relative newcomer to Montreal, four seasons and snow in general, I can see how much potential for injury the winter brings (on a lot of levels):
- slips and falls on the ice
- skating trauma
- skiing and snow-boarding injuries
- cross-country skiing overuse injuries
- not warming up sufficiently when exercising
- falling ice… you get the idea
That being said, I’m a little surprised how much we’re all enjoying Montreal winters so far. Maybe after a few more winters I’ll think differently…
But all things considered, we’re happy we made the move to Montreal, it’s a fantastic city.